2. I do have enough willpower to walk in a really cool store and emerge with nothing. Take that, all you hipsters in the very, very long lines.
3. Riding a bike is still a lot of fun.
4. My 4 year old may know how to manipulate my phone into doing a back handspring double back tuck with a twist, but he still needs help learning how to capture a picture.
5. I’ve been a bit naive about why many of the students I teach ended up at my school. I usually imagine that someone pushed a principal’s buttons too many times, got suspended too many times, went off on a teacher, had too many absences… Hearing the word “probation officer” from a middle school student still makes me pause.
6. It feels really, really good to be ahead of the ballgame. These bad boys are ready to thaw for a day, get dumped in a crockpot, and be consumed by my hungry crew. If you want to learn what preparedness feels like, check this out.
7. Earbuds are not for wearing while children are awake. More like, The Eleventh Commandment: Earbuds shall not appear in thine ear whilst Lutz the Youngest might possibly be inclined to stir. My 19 month old made it clear that he is The Adventurous One when he was discovered by a neighbor in another neighbor’s yard — and I had no idea that he’d left the house. I was cooking and listening to Dave Ramsey, the boys were playing in their rooms, and then… There he was. In muddy socks. Holding a basketball. 30 yards away from my door. So now we know that he can hold the storm door open and get over the threshold. Sliding chain locks will soon be placed up high on both doors.